Unlicensed Relative Providers
One-Time Orientation Requirements:
- Provider Orientation Program (POP) Preservice Training
- First Aid and CPR Certificates In-Person Training
Annual Requirements: Maintain valid First Aid and CPR Certificates
Health and Safety Requirements:
- All unlicensed home-based providers must be a close relative. A close relative is defined as: grandparent/great grandparent, aunt/uncle, and sibling (only a sibling living outside of the child’s home).
- All relative providers must be 20 years of age or older.
- All new relative providers may only care for a total of three (3) children at a time. Of those children, only two (2) children may be under the age of two.
- All relative providers must complete and post this Emergency Plan. (English, Spanish)
- All current Care 4 Kids relative providers may only care for a total of three (3) children at a time. Of those children, only two (2) children may be under the age of two.
Additional Voluntary Training Is Available!
- Additional online child development voluntary training is available. If you are interested, click here for registration information.
Department of Children and Families (DCF) and Criminal Background Checks
All unlicensed Care 4 Kids providers must complete the DCF Authorization for Release of Information Form. This form is used by DCF to complete a background check for unlicensed providers. Submission of this form is an eligibility requirement of the Care 4 Kids program and must be returned to Care 4 Kids. This form must be returned to Care 4 Kids at the contact information indicated on the form. If the DCF substantiation makes a provider ineligible for Care 4 Kids payment, the provider will be required to repay benefits issued. Click here to obtain the DCF Authorization for Release of Information form.
All Care 4 Kids unlicensed providers are subject to criminal background checks. If the results of the criminal background check confirm a crime on the crimes list which makes a provider ineligible for Care 4 Kids payment, the provider will be required to repay benefits issued. For a complete crime list click here List of Crimes